Your grandparents (or depending on your age, maybe your great-grandparents) or your great aunt and uncle, or someone you know in that generation, probably has a courtship story that goes something like this:
I was in love with her, but she wanted nothing to do with me. But I wouldn’t give up. I waited outside her house every morning with a flower from my mother’s garden. Every day for a year I did that. And finally she wised up and saw that I was the man for her. We got married and lived happily ever after.
They tell this story as something romantic. But from modern eyes, it looks creepy and stalkerish. Imagine if you clearly told a guy you were not interested, and then he waited outside your house every single morning to bother you while you were on your way to school or work. You’d be creeped out. You’d call the cops. You might consider moving and trying not to let him find out your new address.
I think the Finchel story is starting to have shades of this. I think that’s why some people see it as romantic and other people are starting to see it as creepy and potentially abusive.
If the writers were aware of this, it would be a brilliant storytelling move. But I don’t think they are.
21 Notes/ Hide
- jessicabaloney likes this
- lightyearsaheadd likes this
- stuffedwithfluff likes this
- sothinky likes this
- trevalyn likes this
- muuuaksgirl likes this
- bananabreadandpoundcake likes this
- tattooedinmyheart likes this
- corywillforeverbeoursexylovegod likes this
- sweetlikeanmandm likes this
- finchelmoncheledelena reblogged this from wilfullavishland and added:
- klaineharmony reblogged this from nadiacreek and added:
- mypopculturesummer reblogged this from nadiacreek
- flamingquill likes this
- jazzypizzaz said: sure this is generational, but I think it’s also cultural and varies considerably within cohorts… consider for example the Twilhard contingency, which considers Edward secretly watching Bella as she sleeps romantic.
- jazzypizzaz likes this
- glitta reblogged this from nadiacreek and added:
- kurtsiegleek likes this